Who loves going to the spa? I do! So why not bring those elements into our daily routines? Personally I think the bathroom is the best place to splurge and make it something you absolutely love. I have done this with my own bathroom, and many times when friends or family see my bathroom, they say they want to have that too... but there is usually some reference of it being to expensive, and I'm betting there is another thought like why would I waste money on such a tiny space, that I don't spend a lot of time in? I would argue to the contrary, its the one space in your house where you have that time completely to your self, make it as special and uplifting or soul replenishing as you can. Even more so if its you own personal bathroom!
So here are some ideas to bring in some relaxing spa elements to make your time in there rejuvenating:
1. Play some relaxing spa music. The easiest and cheapest thing you can do! We all have smart phones, just go to youtube and look up some relaxing music that you like. OR what ever makes your cup feel more full. I'll post some of my favorites at the end of the article. Sometimes I play affirmations, sometimes I play music I really love. Whatever makes your soul happy is great!
2. Bring is some scents. I would recommend something natural like essential oils, because I'm more of the all natural holistic type, but again what ever makes you feel fulfilled. You can get a small humidifier or even just use a small spray bottle. Either way fill with water, and put a few drops of your favorite essential oil in, turn on the humidifier or spray your shower and amazing olfactory transformation! My favorite essential oils are DoTerra, but just you can also buy essential oils from Whole Foods, Pharmaca, Young Living, ect... So in my place I have both a humidifier and I use a spray bottle. The spray bottle is much faster. I filled it with filtered water, and put several drops of peppermint, I love the peppermint flavor so I put a lot in there, definitely more than the recommended "few drops" and I spray a lot of sprays before I get in. Scents I also love for the bathroom are lavender, orange, lemon, and melaluca/tea tree. Lemon, grapefruit, peppermint, and melaluca are supposed to be anti mold from what I've heard, but I don't remember exactly where I learned that from.
3. Salt! In past article I've mentioned how much I love salt lamps. I do not have the technical data to prove my belief. But I really think having salt in the room changes the air. If you have the space you could put a salt lamp in the corner and enjoy a luxurious evening spa pampering, or, if you have a tiny space simply buy Himalayan pink salt rocks and put them on a tiny dish somewhere in your bathroom. I bought my large Himalayan Pink Salt Rocks at Good Earth, a very holistic grocery store. I would bet that any hippie type place would have something suitable. And if you only have normal grocery stores in your area, just go to the condiments isle and buy pink salt that you would normally cook with and put that in a tiny dish. I swear it changes the air, to make it more ionized similar to ocean air.
Now moving on to the items that cost a bit more, but I think are worth it.
4. Bring in a little relaxing color. Color is so powerful, lately I am drawn to light blues for my bathroom, but what ever makes you feel more fulfilled. And I say fulfilled rather than relaxed, because if your want your bathroom to be your recharging/energizing space you might pick a more energetic color like yellow or orange, We all get something slightly different from certain colors. Once upon a time I hated blue, because blue = depression to me, and now I gravitate towards certain blues. Bringing in color can be done in all different kinds of ways: Through your towels, your shower curtain, art, plants, or painting one or all walls.
Hint: If you are lazy or looking to spend less only paint one wall, specifically the wall opposite the mirror, that is what I have done many times.
5. A decal on your mirror or wall. On my mirror I have "P.S. I Love You" I got this idea from Marissa Peer. Her movement is "I am enough." I love this it is so powerful, so I have "I Love You" Its a wonderful reminder that I am loved. We could all use more of that! And its very cheap. I bought my decal on Amazon for about $15. Put up some kind of fulfilling affirmation on your wall and watch your life change for the better.
6. Pamper your self. Whatever that means to you. Buy luxurious soap, bath salts, plush beautiful towels, a gorgeous shower curtain, or the curtain rings. I am preaching to make your bathroom as beautiful and fulfilling to you as possible. I have all of it, and I love it, I love being in my bathroom, I love my plush towels, I love the cute basket I have that holds my extra towels and products. I love that my bathroom is perfect for me. Its tiny (the space is truly maximized) but its beautiful.
Splurge on the things that matter most to you and enjoy! You are worth decadence and luxury.
Hope you feel inspired to try out some of these ideas <3 Jessica
Some youtube videos that I listen to:
Use these to guide you to something you like, or type in whatever would suit you!
Hello! I'm excited to share all that I have learned over my 20 years of working with kids, and some interesting perspectives and ideas relating design and organization. May this blog bring more happiness and ease to your home. <3